The Top 5 Lessons Learned in the First Month of KUFFIX!
Wow! We can't believe it has already been a month since we launched KUFFIX! It has been such a fun and amazing experience so far. We feel so thankful and blessed that our family and friends have supported us on this journey. We have already learned so much and we are excited to keep growing our business. We also feel extremely lucky to have each other to help with this process. We constantly use each other to bounce off ideas and cross things off our LONG lists of to-dos. Both of us say, we don't know how anyone could do this alone! Our KUFFS go out to you, if you do!
That being said, for our first blog post we created a list of the Top Five Lessons Learned in the First Month of running our online business KUFFIX! Hopefully, other new online business owners can gain some insight from what we have learned.
- 1. If you are going to offer a size on a product, you better have it in stock! After the first day of the launch we had at least 10 orders that we could not fulfill. Why? Well, we adjusted the sizes with our seamster about a week before launch and so the sizes were adjusted down, meaning we didn't make any KUFFS in the larger sizes. It meant a lot more work for us; we had to send back order letters and scramble to get our seamster to make the larger sizes. Fortunately, it was all our friends and family so they understood. It took about 2 weeks for them to get their orders and we were so relieved when they finally got sent out. Now we check the box in Shopify, our website host, so customers can't order unless the size is in stock. Lesson learned.
- Just because you are online does not mean people will find your business. I think we just had high hopes that somehow people would find us and buy from us. Not the case! You need to constantly work at finding customers through social media, email campaigns, and directly talk to people about your product. Also, you need to work daily at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) or hire someone to help you.
- Not all your family and friends will buy from you and this is okay. We know our product may not appeal to everybody. It is something new and unique; many people don't like new and unique. The best feedback we have received from our product is from children. All the children that see our KUFFS, LOVE our KUFFS! The problem is that children can't buy online. We have shifted our approach to doing some craft fairs to get our name out there. We know once we show them our product, they can't resist. Your family and friends are just the starting point, if they don't buy, don't take it personal.
- We are learning more than we ever wanted about ankle sizes. Every time we think we have it figured out correlating age and height between ankle sizes, we get one that stumps us. Sometimes taller girls have small ankles and shorter girls have large ankles. You just never know, that is why it is always good to measure first. We even had a relative and friend that had two different size ankles. Huh? It boggles our mind; someday we'll be able to do a study with all our data and put it into a grid!
- There is an immense feeling of accomplishment and joy in starting your own business. With all the work involved in starting our own business, would we do it again? Absolutely! The feeling that something is entirely your own and what you make of it is incredibly liberating from the traditional 9 to 5 job.Your success relies entirely on how hard you are willing to work. You just need to reach out and grab it!
Thanks for reading!
Mary and Brita